Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
maltmas
maltmas

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:36am

Post Subject: Wet under floor in Aft Cabin (Cabin bilge?)

Hello. We have a 52ft ex Black Prince hire boat (Cruiser Stern). In the floor of the Aft cabin, where the electrics and instrument cupboard is, there has been a hatch cut into the floor. I lifted it to discover an inch of water. We did have a leak around the filler tube to the water tank, which we repaired in summer, as we think rain water was getting in. The engineer at our Marina mentioned that on some Hire boats, the Cabin and Engine bilges are connected. Is this true or could the water be residual water finding its way to the stern from the leak earlier in the year? Thanks, Steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:34pm

Some builders do fit an all in one bilge and I think Black Prince do or did at one time. The only sure way to find out is to get access to the engine bilge – the areas either side of the engine – and see if the bulkhead stops short of the baseplate or has holes cut through it. If the hatch looks neat, well made, and sturdy it was probably fitted in the original build. If so it is likely that you have separate bilges. Water can take a long time to trickle from the front of a bilge to the back because of the ballast so just keep sponging it out so you can see if the flow gradually reduces. Other reasons for such water can be leaking window frames between the frame and cabin side, leaking plumbing, or a leaking water tank. Some showers use a bilge pump inside a supposedly sealed “sump” box. These have a nasty habit of leaking. I am avoiding leaking black water tanks at present! Tony Brooks

favours
favours

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:42pm

Tony, Could this also be the result of condensation?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:25pm

At this time of year I very much doubt it. The cabin sides are almost certainly insulated and most of the hull itself in below water so slightly warm. There may well be insulation on the hull sides above floor level. So far this winter we have had very little cold weather that could cause condensation. Also 1" of condensate is a lot. In view of the recent weather I would favour a window leak or that repair being faulty but I may well be wrong. One really needs to inspect the boat, find out how it is used, and see the result of sponging the bilge over a few dry days. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.