Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:11pm

Post Subject: Insulation

Dear Tony or any one that has had this done. We own a 48ft all steel narrow boat built in 1991, the insulation that was used back then was the old itchy type fibre glass wool. Next year we are having it stretched by 10 to 12 foot so therefore the new section will need insulating, there are now presently several different types of insulation available from some thing similar to whats mentioned above to polystyrene panels etc to spray foaming, could you or any one out there recommend what would be the easiest and most efficient method to install, Regards, Alan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:27pm

Post Subject: Insulation

I think that spray foaming as a DIY project is a non-starter ebcause you will have to use cans of spray foam and that carries a cost. The most efficient will be foil faced King span or Celtics with polystyrene coming in third. I am ignoring Thinsulate because in my mind their claims and basic physics do not sit happily together. When using sheet materials you should do all you can to get tight joints with no air-gaps behind the sheets. This is to avoid condensation between the sheet and hull. You can fill gap with aerosal foam. As long as you keep it clear of any bilge water you can use any of the fibre type insulation from glass fibre, rockwool through to sheep's wool. I doubt loose fill insulation like shredded wool, shredded fibres or shredded paper is suitable for a boat. Over to other readers please. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.