Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Pete B
Pete B

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:41am

Post Subject: Stern Gear

It was pointed out to me just after my narrowboat was launched that there was a grub screw missing from the stern tube area. All has been OK for around 18 months until recently, when an intermittent rattling noise can be heard from this area. It occurs between 1000 -1200 rpm and can be made to stop for a while by running the engine hard astern i.e. when winding. Is it possible that the grub screw referred to could be the one that retains the cutlass bearing and the bearing is moving around. The stern gland is the Vetus type,the engine a Beta 38 with a PRM 150 gearbox

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:16pm

The Vetus website seems to be having problems so I am unable to find the technical pages for their stern tube assemblies. Unfortunately saying there is a grub screw missing in the stern tube area is not a lot of help. I need a photo (send to Tong@tb-training.co.uk - not the forum) or an exact description of the location. At this time of year I would suspect that leaves around the prop would be a more likely reason given the symptoms but not if it was doing it in the summer. Sorry I simply do not have enough information to give a valid reply. If this was a new boat why did you not take this up with the builders or stern gear suppliers? Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:19pm

PS - that should be Tony@tb-training.co.uk. Have you checked the engine mounts for security. That is the small nuts and bolts holding the mounts to the beds and the large nuts securing the engine foot to the stud - if any large nuts are loose it is usually to tighten the bottom nut up against the top one to preserve shaft alignment as much as possible. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:53pm

I had hoped to get more information from you. The Vetus site is now showing the installation instructions for their stern tube assemblies and these show the cutless bearing is clamped between two parts of the tube being screwed together with an O ring around it. There is no sign of a grub screw. The bearing position in the drawing looked too far forward to me but it was a generic drawing for a number of shafts so the actual position could vary. In my experience cutless bearings (not in Vetus shaft assemblies) are a tight fit, often a press fit and they also have grub type locating screws, but that was on rather different installations. I doubt that those bearings would come loose for a long time. The other possibility is that you have a Vetus gland on some other make of tube assembly and if so I have no idea and no way of finding out how it is assembled. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.