Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
nbmeg1
nbmeg1

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:23pm

Post Subject: Renewing antifreeze

I have a Skin tank cooled engine in my cruiser-sterned narrow boat. What is the best way to drain the skin tank/engine to ensure the least pollution into the canal. I can't see how spillage into the bilge (which will be pumped overboard) can be avoided. Also, it seems that premixing the new water/anti freeze before filling the system is the preferred method - is it acceptable use the skin/tank as the mixing vessel I.e. the antifreeze in it neat followed by the water. Tnnaks for you advice.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:11am

Whatever you do it will be messy and it will only go overboard if you pump it there. You really should also drain the engine block from the plug or tap provided for the purpose. This will go into the drip tray so you need to clean any oil out of that so you can easily sponge the drained coolant out. The only way I know to drain the skin tank and most of the system is to take the lower hose off and drain into the bilge. It is often easier to take the engine end of this hose off and drop that into the bilge, holding it flat. After draining in that way drain the engine block. There is a chance that your engine also has an anode screwed ino the block that should be renewed but most converted industrial/vehicle engines do not. To remove the coolant from the bilge you can remove the electric bilge pump outlet from the hull and direct it into a container. You could use a manual bilge pump. In either case you will probably have to finish off by sponging. The "pre-mix" antifreeze thing is misinformation and comes from when you change the liquid in central heating systems, especially gravity ones. I very much doubt that you know the capacity of your system so refill by pouring a (say) pint of water & pint of antifreeze into the filler. That will give you a 50% mixture so you can top up with water for a long time before reducing the strength to below (say) 25%. If you want a 30% mixture fill two pints of water to one point of antifreeze. I use an old plastic pint "glass" obtained during a boat show. Remember to vent any air or gas from the skin tank. As long as you give the engine a few hours of running with it up to temperature the antifreeze will mix well enough. Count the number of pints used so you know how much antifreeze to buy for the future. Tony Brooks

nbmeg1
nbmeg1

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:27pm

Thanks Tony, looks like I'll have to do some "research" to find the perfect pint pot for the job! :)

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.