Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
rovers
rovers

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:59pm

Post Subject: running radiators from a back boiler

we have a coal/log fire with a back boiler and 3 radiators - recently we have had problems with air in the system and tried several rememdies - were wondering whether we have the piping connections running to our best advantage? can anyone help?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:49pm

We might be able to help if we can get all the information we need. 1. How is the water circulated - pump or gravity/convection. 2. What sized pipes are in use. 3. How do the pipes run between the stove, radiators, header tank and any vent pipes. 4. What have you tried already. 5. You say "air in the system", what exactly do you mean by that. Does the system circulate but keeps filling one or more radiators with air or does it refuse to circulate. 6. What type of header/expansion tank are you using? I know you may feel this is complicated stuff but unless we can understand exactly what type of system you have we can not really help you. If you can email a simple sketch of your system plus the answer to the above to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk I will see what I can make of the problem. Tony Brooks

rovers
rovers

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:16am

thanks tony - will get a sketch to you shortly

cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09pm

just fitted new stove and back boiler to original radiator pipes and it is gravity fed it took about 2 hours to bleed all the air out before rear rad would work I taped the pipes and kept bleeding the valve over and over again also filled the water tank up at the front of the boat to tip the front down so as to help the pipe work run better until it was fully bled it was a ball ache but in the end it works great and now after lighting fire rads are hot hope this might help ps rads were drained and refilled with 50 50 water to antifrezze as suggested in the past

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:58pm

Thanks Cisco1. What you say is all to often true but after several emails it was clear that the volume of air was far too great for it to airlocks. At present it seems the pump was drawing air in through some slightly loose pipe connections. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.37 seconds.