Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
pdscaz
pdscaz

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:43pm

Post Subject: prop

On turning the prop round (down the weed hatch)on my narrowboat I could feel that the tip of one blade had been bent over.unless you know its got a slightly bent tip not a problem next spring the boat is out of the water for diy blacking, can (or should)the prop tip be bend back or just leave alone ?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:17pm

Post Subject: prop

If you are not suffering any noises or vibration then I am sure that you can leave it as it is. However depending upon the degree of bend I would be inclined to attempt to straighten it when it is out of the water. I would get a large weight like a sledge hammer head, or even the mooring hammer, and put it behind the bend, then use an ordinary hammer on the other side to try to straighten it. Some people feel that warming it with a blow lamp to take the chill our of the metal helps. We are not talking about getting the prop anywhere even close to red hot. It is also a good time to grind away any excessive knicks and burrs but take advice so you do grind it in a way that minimises the danger of a singing prop. Narrowboats usually run with a 2 or 3:1 gearbox reduction so the prop is rarely turning very fast and that makes the effect of the bend less than on a high speed prop. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.