Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
pennyblue
pennyblue

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:46am

Post Subject: height of bridges

is there a book which gives heights of bridges

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:08pm

Most of the cruising guides like Nicholsons give some bridge heights as should the CaRT waterways guides. I am sure the Environment Agency does similar for the Thames, Nene, and Ouse. However this type of information is not an enormous amount of use because unless the water level is absolutely static (which it wont be) and unless the underside of the bridge is absolutely horizontal (which few are) then much depends on the profile of your boat. Take a typical canal bridge (or even Osney Bridge on the Thames at Oxford) a 7ft beam narrowboat with sloping cabin sides may well be able to pass under but a wide beam boat or a narrowboat with vertical cabin sides may not. BW used to publish at approved "profile" for narrowboats but I have not been able to find it on the CaRT website. If you have a "typical" narrowboat it will pass all bridges on CaRT waters when the level is normal and any tight ones are usually signed. However,as an example, the road bridge at the entrance to Stratford Basin is low but is adequate but when the Avon floods and overtops its banks the level of the canal can rise by a foot or more making that bridge impassible. Likewise a bridge in Bristol but that one can be subject to tidal action. If you have a specific reason for needing this information then please come back. I would note that I have seen boaters surveying bridges on the Grand Union prior to moving a wide beam boat. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:51am

Just found this while looking for something else: http://www.bluestarsurveys.co.uk/Craft.pdf However the boat profile and water level may still make it inaccurate. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:05am

I talked about the boat's profile in my first reply and have now found a page that makes some reference to this. http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/documents/tunn el-dimensions.pdf Although this is ostensibly for the Standedge tunnel I am sure that as long as your boat fits within the profile you can take the airdraft from the tables in my second reply as being fairly accurate at NORMAL water level. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.