Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
allidave
allidave

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:59am

Post Subject: 58 ft on the calder & hebble?

we are buying a 58' n/boat and hoping to moor on the calder/hebble however we understand 57'6 is the max length between mirfield and cooper bridge junction. is this absolute, or is there some flexibility

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:04am

My understanding is that its a broad beam navigation and the 57'6" length is for broad boats. Single narrow boats that are longer than that can, I understand, pass the locks by lying diagonally across the locks. You may have to remove your fenders though. I think this is the navigation where "over length" boats have to descend one lock backwards. If you have a mooring on that navigation why not seek advice from the operators. There is nothing like local knowledge. Although longer narrow boats may pass the locks I doubt the practise is approved of by BW/CaRT. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:31am

One other thing. If you have not yet consulted the locals I think that you will find that you will need a Hand Spike to operate the lock paddles - NOT a standard windlass. This is a length of hardwood (say 2" x 3", but check) with a shaped end. I think the local Yards and Chandlers sell them up there. TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.