Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Liverpool1
Liverpool1

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:37am

Post Subject: Air locks -help

Hi we have just stayed for the first night on our canal boat -it had been drained down so we filled it with water. The water came out of the taps to start of with but then stopped. Could they be air locked? If so any ideas what I can do to sort it out. Many thanks maiden in distress

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:02pm

Post Subject: Air locks -help

Sorry for the delay in answering. I have been at my daughters for a family party. Without out knowing a lot of information that you probably do not know I can not be sure, but modern systems very rarely airlock on the domestic water side of things. Occasionally a drained system may get an airlock in the pipe between tank and pump but as the pump should be below the water level in the tank it is very rare. Has anyone turned the water pump switch off by mistake? You should be able to hear the pump whirring with it turned on and with a tap open. If it is not then you may have a blown fuse/tripped circuit breaker, the pump switch turned off, a wiring fault, or a problem with the pump or pressure switch. If you know where the pump is try whacking the cylindrical part with the heel of a slipper or other soft shoe. There should be a main valve between the tank and pump, closer to the pump, is this turned off. There should also be a strainer close to the pump inlet. Is this blocked? If you disconnect the pump inlet does water flow from the tank? How long did it take to fill the tank? it it was less than 10 minutes the tank may not have a breather on it so air pressure pushed water back out of the filler, it may simply need filling more slowly. If it is not yet sorted come back with some answer to the above and I will have a look in the morning. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.60 seconds.