Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Hornblower
Hornblower

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:25pm

Post Subject: VHF radio for Londons Thames

Hey and a happy new year, I´m just planning our next Narrowboat-holiday for this summer: we´re heading to London. I know that we will need a VHF radio on board and a licence to use it. I could buy a portable one for my GRP-cruiser here in Germany and take it on board our hireboat. So would such a radio work in GB and in D? Kind Regards Jan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:50pm

Post Subject: VHF radio for Londons Thames

Dear Jan, This is a rather specialized area that I am unsure of. I think a set sold in Germany may have to be equipped with facilities that identify your boat and possibly yourself to other stations as part of the broadcast (ATIS). I think this may not be legal in the UK because we use a different system (DSC) that is not mandatory for small craft. I am not even sure a German license would be valid for use in the UK. I am fairly certain that such a set would work but the channel groups will/may be different. I am not sure about the legality of it though. The ATIS transmisson may identify your own boat, not the hired narrowboat. Then there is the question about a German license being legal in the UK. I suspect it should be but can not be sure. I think that you would do well to contact the RYA and OFCOM to discuss this. This RYA document should give you a start: http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/le gal/Web%20Documents/Legal%20Leaflets/Clubs/Laws% 20and%20Regulations/VHF%20RADIO%20REGULATIONS.pd f (all on one line). Also discus this with the German authorities. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.34 seconds.