Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
TrevorW1
TrevorW1

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:55pm

Post Subject: Operating hours meter failure

The digital readout of the total operating hours of the boat engine has suddenly stopped working. The rev counter which it is a part of works ok so my questions are: Other than for service intervals, do I need it? Where does it take its readings from? I've had a look around the engine but can't see any obvious wires off anything. Would it be fused? Again, all obvious fuses are OK. It's an Isuzu panel if that helps anyone. Thanks.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:01pm

Easy part first. The rev-counter is supplied with pulses from a small terminal on the alternator. The pulse frequency is proportional to engine speed so the rev-counter converts the pulses to a speed reading. The presence of pulses also tells the electronics that the engine is running so it must run the hour meter. My guess is that this is a liquid crystal display and these get sluggish as the temperature falls to a pint where they fail to work. However I do not think that is the case here. I am about 80% sure the electronics are counting the hours but the display is not working. You may find it cures itself as the weather warms up and drives moisture out of the instrument. If it does it may well fail again. My belief is that a small ribbon cable that is fixed to the back of the display is now failing to make a reliable contact. If you are good at working on delicate instruments you could try stripping the instrument, removing the cable, cleaning eh contact area (both cable & display) with isopropyl alcohol and reassembling it. Otherwise if its important to you it may require a new instrument. Any make will do as long as it fits the hole and is alternator driven. It is likely to be fused along with all the other engine electrics but as the rev-counter is working it is not a fuse or supply/negative problem. I use mine to give an idea about re-fueling intervals (when its working - its like yours!) A fussy buyer may try to knock the price down if it is not working, a wise buyer will look at many other things to determine engine and boat use. You can get stand alone hour counters. Tony brooks

favours
favours

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:22pm

Just to add to Tony's comments, I can confirm we had the same issue last winter with a Beta panel and as they suggested once the weather and temperature improved the read out came back to life. It has been ok since "touch wood" see how things go this winter.

TrevorW1
TrevorW1

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:49pm

Thanks folks. I'll hang on until Spring and see what happens. If it doesn't come back to life I'll investigate behind the panel. I thought it probably worked off an alternator so I've already checked those but everything seems well connected, always worth another look though. Thanks again.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.