Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
petersands
petersands

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:30am

Post Subject: best glue for metal to glass

having difficulty sticking metal window catches to glass windows.Which is the best glue to use?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:51am

Post Subject: best glue for metal to glass

All my experience of bonding metal to glass has been in the motor trade with such things as rear view mirrors and that experience has not been particularly satisfactory. There are/have been adhesive pads made for such use but I would never want to rely on them to secure a window catch. A quick Google throws up several possibilities and one of them is a Loctite product specifically for this job. They are very well thought of in the realms of engineering adhesives so it would be worth a try. At this time of year I fear that the heat of your hands may be causing a film of condensation on the bond area, this will not help. It is also vital to make sure both surfaces are very clean and flat. At this time of year it may help if, after cleaning, you gently warm the glass with something like a hair dryer so your breath and hands do not cause condensation. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.