Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:18pm

Post Subject: water treatment

is there anything I can put in my water tank that sterilise it but does not need the tank emptying after before it can be used,my son uses pills he drops in is water bottle and then after awhile it is safe to drink

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:41am

There are several tank treatments including Aquatab tablets but you may find the cost to treat a whole tank a bit steep. There is also a product called Puraclean but I do not know if you HAVE to drain the tank after using it. I have seen small bottles of liquids in chandlers and CAK Tanks (0870 757 2324) list CAKTSC100 Tankkleen & Steriliser that they claim leaves no aftertaste. The problem with many of this type of product is that they seem mainly aimed at users like your son or caravaners with small tanks. Some become costly when used for large boat tanks. This is why many of us use Milton type products or thin CHEAP bleach and put up with changing the the water after treatment. I think that as long as you do not exceed the recommended dose you would not have to drain the tank but the taste may make it preferable. The other problem is that I suspect few boaters have been given an accurate water tank capacity so what they think they have could be way out. This is why I tend to overdose the tank on my boat. Tony Brooks

cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42pm

thanks tony as you say I have no idea of the size of my tank any rough guide for a 40ft boat built by gary gorton in the 90,s in litres

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.