Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Daybreak
Daybreak

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:51pm

Post Subject: boat "level" on the water? - full fuel and water included

new this year to narrow boating and wondered if there is a recognised 'right' level for the boat as it sits in the water? I ask because our boat sits def lower at stern than bow and in our marina I see many different 'angles' of height differences some pronounced and some almost level. Understand steering is affected by this being 'correct' and ask is there a recognised 'best' attitude with this that I may need to ballast the front down too? might be a silly question but like to hear your opinion on this. thanks in anticipation

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54pm

Most boats appear to sit down a bit by the stern but sometimes that can be caused by the hull or cabin shape. The only "correct" thing is that the uxter plate (that's the flat plate the weed hatch sits on) is at least one inch below the surface with the boat stationary. Less than that and the propeller is likely to suck air down and cause noise and loss of power (ventilation). From then on its up to you to rim the boat so it handles as you like it. The further down the stern is then the further back the pivot point when steering will be. I prefer a pivot point further back than many so my stern sits maybe an inch lower than "typical". If youw nat to experiment then afew bags of sand/ballast/gravel from the likes of Wicks will allow you to shift the ballast about to see how it alters your own boats handling. Only after that start to think about permanent ballast. Tony Brooks

Daybreak
Daybreak

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:54pm

Tony thanks for your response. It's clear now why there are differences in this between boats I've observed and will check the plate as you said. 2nd question I've asked to the forum and your responses have been very helpful and reassuring, thank you. John

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.