Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:39pm

Post Subject: I-pad signal

A question to all out there. I use an Apple I-pad on a mini SIM card for internet connection with 3 mobile being my server the signal outside my narrow boat on the marina shows 3 bars so the internet speed is not to bad however when inside the boat it drops to 1 bar making the down loading virtually non obtainable, does any one know of any device that could transfer the good signal from out side the boat to the inside. Thanks, Alan.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:12am

Talk to The Boaters Phone Company or Google to see if there are any external aerials that you stick onto the phone or if the I-pad has an external aerial socket. If the I-pad is also fitted with wireless networking than one of the Mifi devices plus an external aerial may solve the problem. You could well find that such a device would not need an external aerial if you hang it in a window. (http://store.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/MiFi) Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:28pm

I have just asked my Grandson about the capabilities of the "I" range of equipment and he assures me that it should have built in wifi so the MIFI 3G router should work well as long as you have a suitable window to hang it in that is aligned to your local cell mast. If you do not have such a window then make sure it has an external aerial socket. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.