Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stevieb
stevieb

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:32pm

Post Subject: engine oil

Hi i had to top up my engine oil & could only find a 10-40 oil at short notice, my 2.2bmc has a 20-50 in will the 2 oils mix & is there any possable damage that could occur? thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:26pm

I can not say absolutely that all will be well, but I fully expect it to be. As this is an inland magazine I would be more concerned over the API specification being suitable than the viscosity of a multi-grade oil. Comma do a 20W50 in API CC for about £8.00, available from most motor factors. Unipart also do a similar oil. Forget the likes of Halfords. Tony Brooks

explugger
explugger

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:41am

hello - I have a BMC and have recently downloaded the entire BMC workshop manual for the net - not only is it great for working out where things are but it gives you all the spec of which oils to use and not...of course this was for when the engine was in a car - but similar guidelines will apply....

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:28pm

In the case of the BMC engines you may well be correct in assuming the vehicle and inland marine oil will be similar. However I must caution against this assumption on more modern engines because of the very low powers we typically take off our engines some designs tend to glaze. This is combated by the mariniser specifying a lower specification oil (and more frequent oil changes)that that used for a vehicle etc. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.58 seconds.