Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
radiorobbo
radiorobbo

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:12am

Post Subject: Isuzu 42 hp engine

Im about to buy my first canal boat, it's 65 ft long The boat is powered by a 42hp Isuzu, 4 cylinder, watercooled, diesel engine with PRM hydraulic gearbox with 2:1 reduction. Will this be powerful enough for river use as well. Regards. John

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:43pm

Your boat is just 10ft longer than mine and I only have about 34 HP yet was perfectly happy to venture onto the Thames two summers ago when the flood board were out so straight forward power is not the issue. I spent years working on the Tames in all conditions so I have some idea about how to read the water, position the boat to use or avoid the stream and when I really need to stay tied up. I also know my prop is well matched to my engine and gearbox so the engine can deliver maximum torque. Several long full power tests have been conducted on rivers to make sure my skin tank (cooling) is adequate. You see I have no idea about how well matched your prop is or if your skin tank is adequate, let alone your experience, so all I can say is that under normal flow conditions I am sure it will be absolutely fine but please do some high speed tests to ensure the skin tank is large enough. It needs a surface area of just over 10 sq ft (one side only). However nothing would persuade me to venture onto the Thames or Severn at the moment unless it was an real emergency and I was in a proper powerful tug. Please come back if you need more advise. Tony Brooks

radiorobbo
radiorobbo

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:03pm

Hi Tony. That's ideal advice. I intend to gain experience, just knowing we can take it on rivers is sufficient for now. Thank you for your knowledge which I hope to gain. John

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.