Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
patricia parker
patricia parker

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:53pm

Post Subject: stabilising a narrowboat

we have a 6 month old 58ft narrowboat and have problems with stability...the boat rocks quite a bit whenever anyone walks through the interior and we wondered what could be done to rectify the problem

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:05pm

If you are new to narrowboating so are comparing it with a house or a wide beam boat then it could well be perfectly normal and what should be expected with such a narrow beam. It all depends upon degree and the boat design. The more weight you have high up in the boat the more tender (that's the more easily it will rock) the boat will be. So if your roof is made from 5mm steel instead of the more usual 4 then it would roll more. If you heavy lots of high up wall storage then, again, it will rock more than a boat with all the storage low down. The thickness of the base plate is not normally as important because a boat with a 6 or 8mm base plate will carry more ballast on the baseplate than one with a 10 or 20mm baseplate. I also suspect that you may have at least some of the walkway on one side of the boat. All of these are design considerations and it is probably rather late to do anything now. You could compare how your boat sits in the water against a selection of other boats. If yours rides high or if your uxter (swim) plate is less than 1" below the water you could try adding ballast but to do anything more than alter the fore-aft trim would almost certainly demand that you take up floorboards and even then there may not be enough room below the floor for more ballast. Regrettably most boats have all the interior fitted on top of a fixed down floor so adding ballast low down is probably a non-starter. As I said I suspect from what you have told me that it is normal and that you need to get used to it or change to wide-beam boat. I am discounting a lot of water in the under cabin bilge because you do not say the boat tends to list as it would when bilge water runs to one side or the other. Please come back if you think we can help you more. Please will other readers comment. Tony Brooks

cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:23pm

yes ours moves from side to side but I don't even notice it I have been on other narrowboats and they all do the same some less some more trouble is I enjoy it part of the fun

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.