Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Simbo1...
Simbo1...

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:09pm

Post Subject: Replacing floor

Hi all. I have recently discovered a pump leak but unfortunately too late.........the floor under my bed disintegrated when I stood on it and I hope the rotten wood has not gone as far as bathroom (under toilet & shower) how do I go about checking in the bathroom and what do you suggest on replacing the floor?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:30pm

Assuming this is a narrowboat. Unfortunately most such boats have the floor fitted almost before anything else so all your bulkheads and fixed furniture and fittings are probably sitting on large sheets of some kind of timber product. I would like to think that it is at least WBP or marine ply. However the way you say the floor disintegrated makes me wonder if it OSB board (looks as if it is made up of loads of large wood shavings pressed together}. I am at a bit of a loss to know what you mean about checking the bathroom. I would have thought that you pulled up the floor covering and inspected the floor. Depending upon layout you may have to remove a shower tray/toilet plinth/vanity unit to get close to the bedroom bulkhead. I fear that you will probably have to take the bed apart and get it out of the way. Then assess just how far the rot has spread. If it has gone rotten under the bathroom bulkhead you may have to take that down as well because if you leave any rot it could infect new wood. Any of the floor that is still firm but damp could be left to really dry out and then treat with a suitable timber anti-rot product. You may find that if you remove the cabin side linings that you can take out a whole floor sheet but I suspect the rot could be more local than that. If it was mine I think that I would use something like a "Ferm type" vibrating multi-tool to cut away a section of floor. This should expose the floor bearers. Renew any sections that are rotten and treat the adjacent wood to kill and rot spoors. The using strips of suitable wood or sheet material I would screw them around the edge of the hole on the underside using countersink screws so they provide a ledge to support the edges of a new sheet that you cut to fit. Beware of using a jigsaw to cut out the rot because the blade could easily hit the ballast or metal bracing/floor supports. As to what to replace it with. It will have to be the same thickness as the existing floor but what product depends upon your budget. I suspect it would range from WPB shuttering ply at the low end through Far Eastern "marine" ply to proper marine ply from Robbins of Bristol at the top end. You may find that you have actual floor boards but I doubt it. That is about all I can say but do not go taking bulkheads out or removing fixed furniture until you have discovered the extent of the actual rot. A lot of the wet but sound floor may well may dry out given time and ventilation. Tony Brooks

Simbo1...
Simbo1...

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:06pm

Thank you very much for your help Tony.......will investigate the problem weekend.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.