Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
barrieaust
barrieaust

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:43pm

Post Subject: battery charging from 240 volt mains

Hi Tony. I have a narrow boat which we visit every two weeks. I have a bank of two leisure batteries and a separate starter battery. I want to charge them via the 240 volt mains with peace of mind that all is safe whilst I am away from my boat. what make and type do you recommend?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:18pm

To be as accurate as possible I really need to know the capacity of the batteries but I will assume they are 2 x 110 Ah domestic and about 100 Ah engine. You will only need a modest charger output do do exactly what you ask about so a 10 amp charger should be fine. However to allow a bot of overhead so it acts as a power supply when you are on the boat whilst on shoreline and to help cope with flat batteries in the future maybe a 20 or 30 amp one would be better. You now need to consider the engine battery charging. Unless you do something odd like starts and run the engine for a few minutes every two weeks then the engine battery will spend most of its time absolutely fully charged. This is why engine batteries usually last between 5 and 10 years whilst domestic ones often last only two to four years. If you want to spend extra money then you will need a two output charger that will charge both batteries together OR use jump leads to make just one large bank when you are away from the boat. Personally I think a single output charger connected to the domestic bank will do the job but its your decision. The important thing is that it is a multi-stage charger that drops to a low charging voltage (float) once the charger decides the batteries are almost fully charged. I suspect it matters little if it is advertised as a two, three, four or five stage charger. By and large that tends to be marketing rather than fact. I am not going to recommend a make bot as you are going to be leaving it unattended please make sure it is a reputable make designed for marine use. Do NOT site it under a cruiser or semi-trad stern's deck boards. To summarise, a 2+ stage MARINE charger with 1 or 2 outputs of at least 10 amps output supplied from a reputable source. Two more things. Please do not leave it unattended if you have even a suspicion that a cell may be failing. If you do there could be an explosion resulting in acid being sprayed about while you are away from the boat. Secondly your question implies a shoreline so please make sure that the boat is properly earthed and is equipped with an isolation transformer or galvanic isolator to minimise the danger of hull corrosion. If you need more info please come back.

cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:16pm

I use a ctek marine multi stage charger and leave it connected to my leisure battery as tony says and perhaps once a month just swap it to my starter battery until I return to the boat then swap back and done this for 3 years and all is fine

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.