Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Fermain
Fermain

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:08pm

Post Subject: Shut off solenoid

Hi Tony, Many thanks for your reply concerning my engine shut off solenoid, it will be a few weeks before I go back to the boat to carry out further tests. I have contacted a Barrus dealer and they have quoted me £525 plus vat for a new one, does this seem feasible to you. Any thoughts. Alan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:29pm

I am afraid that it all depends. If it is an external solenoid operating via a linkage & lever I would be looking on ASAP Supplies website to see if they have anything that could be adapted to fit. (£52ish. I would also contact E P Barrus 01869 363678 direct and see what they say. Unfortunatley I know of no plant equipment that uses Yanmar engines so unlike Vetus (Mitsubishi) or Beta (Kubota) you can not check at an agricultural agent. If it screws directly into the injector pump with only a diaphragm for you to push or nothing at all then I fear it may well be a case of pay up and look big, but remember in case you ever have to consider another engine or another boat. I am never surprised about prices for Japanese spares for the marine market. The other thing to do is to ask on the Canal World Internet Forum, they are very knowledgeable once you learn to ignore the idiots. If there is a lever on the engine then at that price I would be thinking of fitting a cable operated stop. Tony Brooks

Woodycorne
Woodycorne

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:44pm

I had a similar problem 3 or 4 years ago. I have a Barrus engine and a Barrus instrument panel. By removing the panel and pressing the stop button I noticed that the main plastic casing to the switch had broken away and when the switch was operated the whole of the casing moved so that the switch wasn't operating. As a temporary repair I glued the thing back together and it has been fine ever since (not so temporary after all). This may not be the case in your situation but I thought I would mention it, if it happened in my case it may well have done the same in yours.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:56am

Many thanks for that excellent tip. In this case however if you look in the post titled "My engine won't stop" the questioner says that he has voltage at the solenoid. He would be unlikely to if the switch had broken as you describe. Still a good tip though.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.60 seconds.