Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
steveb
steveb

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:36am

Post Subject: BV 601 battery monitor

I have a Victron 2.5KW Inverter charger and 4 domestic 135AH batteries + 110AH starter battery. I have installed the Victron BV 601 battery monitor to the instructions and it monitors the the inverters charger perfectly and also any use of the batteries accurately. However my problem is that when the mains is disconnected and I am using the engine to charge the batteries on a trip, the monitor only shows what is taken out of the batteries and not the charging. This is a new boat with Beta 43 engine and twin alternators. The batteries are clearly being charged by the alternators as the voltmeter on the engine display and the battery monitor shows 14 volts when the engine is running. I can only think that it is something to do with the negative wiring going through the shunt. Is there a negative feed to the batteries from the alternators that I am missing going through the shunt? Regards Steve Bass

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:00pm

Post Subject: BV 601 battery monitor

I think the shunt has been positioned so the alternator charge is bypassing it, but I am afraid I can not say more without inspecting the boat. I suspect it may be hard to fit the shunt so it measures all charging sources yet avoids having to carry starting current. I suggest that you ask Victron for the wiring diagram and instructions so that it does measure both charge sources. If the alternator has a main charging negative lead this may need running back to the appropriate side of the shunt. If the case is negative I think you may just have to put up with it or fit a Smartgauge that uses a different method of measuring the state of battery charge. Sorry Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.