Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
peter5
peter5

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47pm

Post Subject: Cleaning water tank

We are liveaboards. Please can you tell me What is the best method to clean the water tank and how often should it be done?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:22pm

To a degree that rather depends upon what type of tank it is. Stainless steel, plastic or built into the boat using the hull, well deck floor and the lower part of the front bulkhead to form the tank itself. If you let me know about the tank then I can advise. Regrettably the forum software makes long involved answers covering all tank types unsatisfactory.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:00am

I had hoped that you would clarify what type of tank you have but maybe you can answer thsi question. Does there seem to be a screwed down cover or plate let into the well deck/forward cockpit floor? Tony Brooks

peter5
peter5

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:25pm

We have a built in stainless steel tank. We don't seem to have an inspection cover. The water seems fine although there is alot of limescale in the kettle. We have a water filter. We just wondered if the tank should be routinely cleaned.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:21pm

The lime scale in your kettle is just telling you that you are in a hard water area and has nothing to do with the tank. You can not get into the vats majority of stainless steel tanks so all you can do is to periodically sterilise them. As livaboards with presumably a high turn over of water you probably do not even need to do this. The chlorine in the public water supply may be all that is required. If you want to sterilise the tank accurately you need to know the capacity so you can work out how much product to add. However I suspect what many boat manuals/ broker's sheets say is only an estimate. You can by products specifically for this job from chandlers but the likes of Milton or CHEAP THIN bleach from the supermarket will do just as well. I buy a small bottle of bleach. Nearly empty the tank, pour the bleach in and refill. I then run water from each tap until I can smell/taste the bleach. I allow it to stand for several hours and drain the tank via the taps (running the engine so you do not flatten the battery) and refill. You may get a bleach tang in the water but it will soon clear. Thsi procedure probably massively overdoses the bleach. If you know the capacity of your tank there are plenty of Google resources that will tell you how much to add. Tony Brooks

peter5
peter5

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:26pm

thank you for your time and knowledge it as put our minds at rest thank you again peter

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.