Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
batman
batman

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:24pm

Post Subject: Hot Water

Hi Tony We have a 55ft narrowboat and have had the watertank cleaned and painted. I drained off the tank and the work was done by a contractor. After the job was done i filled up with water ran it through the taps and shower all ok i took the boat back to our moorings about 2 hour journey.When we arrived the water was not hot or even warm, any ideas please. Keith

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:42pm

I think that you probably have an air lock in the ENGINE circuit that feeds the calorifier coil. This would prevent hot water from the engine heating the water in the calorifier. If this is a new boat to you then there may not be a thermostat in the engine. What temperature did the engine coolant reach during the trip? Where is the engine header tank and how full is it? make and model of engine? Air or water cooled? I suspect this is a coincidence and has nothing to do with the water tank work. Tony Brooks

batman
batman

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:54pm

The temperature gauge was normal i fitted two new thermostasts last year no problems,The engine is a Barrus shire 3 cylinder 1643cc water cooled the header tank is ok the contractor only cleaned and painted the tank

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:07pm

There may be a bleed screw at the highest point on the calorifier coil circuit. If so and if its lower than the engine header tank level try bleeding it from there. If not, and it gets a bit hot and complicated being a twin thermostat Barrus engine, Get the engine up to running temperature with the pressure cap OFF. Mix up a 50% antifreeze mixture with very hot water. Get assistant with mixture in a watering can. Locate the calorifier return hose on the engine, loosen the hose clip and make sure you can move the hose on the stub. Set engine to fast idle (say 1000 RPM). While friend keeps the header tank topped up pull off the hose and use something to plug the ENGINE side so water is pumped out of the hose. If after a short while no air comes out replace the hose and tighten, top up etc. I think that would sort it but if friend adds cold water or the engine is still too cool the first thermostat will not open so nothing would circulate. For a less messy method you could try getting the up to temperature so the hose to the skin tank gets hot and then clamp or crimp the large feed hose to the skin tank. This would force all the engine water pump output through the calorifier coil and there is a good chance it would shift any airlock. Tony Brooks

batman
batman

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:10pm

Thanks will try

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.