Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
hobbyhorse
hobbyhorse

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:47am

Post Subject: Engin Hatch Cover

I need to replace the engine and weed hatch covers on my cruiser stern narrow boat. The existing covers seem to be a form of plywood with a composite “plastic” surface. The plywood is delaminating due to water penetration. What is the best material to use for a replacement and where can I buy it? Len Palfrey nb Hobbyhorse

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:12am

You could use marine ply but un less you buy it from a quality supplier it is unlikley to last well. Robbins of Bristol sell really good marine ply but the cost is astounding. I suspect the stuff that you have is the most cost effective. It comes in several names but Hexagrip/Hexaboard or Rhinoboard are fairly common. If you can locate a local commercial vehicle body builder/supplier they may well be able to sell you suitable offcuts. I found that as commercial suppliers of these boards demand a minimum order, delivery charges and only in 8'x4' sheets it was cheaper to give my marina a cutting list. I suspect that you will need to find oen that does fitouts & repairs. I used Calcutt Boats. When you have the board it is important to seal the edges. There is a product called Endsel (Screwfix) but I used epoxy resin. Tony Brooks

hobbyhorse
hobbyhorse

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:17pm

Hi Tony, thanks for the advice, I have not been able to obtain hexagrip but I have found something similar that I am trying which is WISA board. The WISA board website has a facility for finding local stockists. Regards Len Palfrey

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.