Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
gbzrope
gbzrope

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:16am

Post Subject: Lister overheating

Doing a lock flight Hekla does not like sitting on tick over for any length of time, and the temp. creeps up from the normal 70-80C to 90C+, oil pressure drops from 1.5bar to under 1, the oil warning light starts flashing, and tick-over revs drop to a point where the engine is 'hunting' and sometimes stalls. Pop the clutch button out and leave the engine on fast tickover (1,000 rpm) and she is fine. Engine is a Lister CanalStar LPW4A

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:46am

This one is a bit of a mystery as its a water cooled engine with external fuel pipes. Make sure your engine oil is as Lister recommend for that engine, especially the viscosity rating (e.g. SAE 15W40). It sounds as if the water pump is not circulating the cooling water so make sure the skin tank is bled and the drive belt is the correct tension - especially if it is also driving an alternator. I would also want to make sure the main cooling hoses are of adequate size and if there is an oil cooler involved that its core is not blocked. Then manipulate any loops in the main hoses to ensure any air in them runs to the skin tank or header tank. If you think air did move re-bleed the skin tank. If all that draws a blank I am afraid that I would get a test kit and check the cooling water for signs of a blown head gasket. A local motor factors probably sell such kits. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:19pm

The reply you got in the other place about water pump impeller blades being broken is only likely to be applicable if this is a heat exchange engine with a Jabsco type raw water pump. This setup is not very usual in canal boats. Occasionally a different sort of impeller has been known to fall of the water pump shaft but if that was the case I would expect the overheat to occur at higher revs, not idle. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.