Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
timcurtis
timcurtis

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:10am

Post Subject: Lining out

Hello Just bought a 60x12 Sailaway. What thickness ply should I use?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:21am

There are no rules about this so it depends upon the depth of your pockets and if you intend to hang anything on the lining. Thin ply is probably OK for the roof as long as the fixing centers are maybe 450mm or less apart. The curve will help it keep its shape. I suspect you will need to fix things to the cabin side above the gunwale so 9 or 12mm to give you some thickness for screws. Below the gunwales use the same if you intend to fix radiators to it or if not you could get away with 6mm or less. It really is up to you. As you feel the need to ask this I wonder if you have considered the thermal insulation, the need for a vapor barrier behind the ply and the need to ensure the ply never comes into direct contact with any metal part of the boat structure. If using any oak please remember that iron/steel contact will produce black stains. Tony Brooks

timcurtis
timcurtis

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32am

Thank you for your help.The boat is spray foamed - do I need a vapour barrier as well? I am in the process of scraping foam off the battens. There are some thin strips of metal exposed - will covering this with tape be enough?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:19am

There are no rules about this so it depends upon the depth of your pockets and if you intend to hang anything on the lining. Thin ply is probably OK for the roof as long as the fixing centers are maybe 450mm or less apart. The curve will help it keep its shape. I suspect you will need to fix things to the cabin side above the gunwale so 9 or 12mm to give you some thickness for screws. Below the gunwales use the same if you intend to fix radiators to it or if not you could get away with 6mm or less. It really is up to you. As you feel the need to ask this I wonder if you have considered the thermal insulation, the need for a vapor barrier behind the ply and the need to ensure the ply never comes into direct contact with any metal part of the boat structure. If using any oak please remember that iron/steel contact will produce black stains. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:23am

It depends upon what tape you are talking about. masking tape or sellotape, I doubt it. Duct tape then possibly. With no vapor barrier condensation is likely to form on the metal and that will soak into the ply. Last month we had a question and photo about this and the cabin lining was very badly stained.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.