Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stuart&viv
stuart&viv

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:48am

Post Subject: anchors

My new widebeam is being put into the water at Bristol. Do I need to have an anchor? I will be moving onto the Kennett & Avon. I will also,at sometime, want to cruise the Thames.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:33am

Post Subject: anchors

That all depends upon what you mean by "need". It also depends upon the attitude of your insurance company if you make a claim that was made worse by the fact you had no anchor. I would never travel a river without an anchor permanently attached to a strong part of the boat with an adequate chain and warp (rope). In over 50 years of boating I have never had to deploy an anchor in an emergency but it only takes one fouled prop or engine failure on a river with a bit of flow on it for you to end up on or over a weir. The anchor is also useful if mooring in a doubtful area to make sure that the boat stays in the same place if the mooring lines are cut. There are also places on the Thames where it is pleasant to anchor up for lunch rather than moor to the bank. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.58 seconds.