Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Kristine
Kristine

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:24pm

Post Subject: UK inland waterways map

Just about to commission a new 60' x 12'6" widebeam, for living aboard later next year. We intend to be continuous cruisers, and will get particular maps as and when we need them, but can anyone recommend a map of the whole network, showing clearly which bits are accessible for a boat of this size? Many thanks, Kristine

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:36pm

I am sure the IWA online book shop will stock suitable maps but have a look at the Nicholsons one at the bottom of this page: https://www.waterways.org.uk/shop/search?search= UK+waterways+map&pageID=3 (all on one line. I can tell you straight away that you will be severely limited. In the south you will be limited to the Thames, K&A, Almost all of the GU, the Lea and Stort, and the Wey navigation unless you want to go to sea. For more than 7ft beam the length limit on much of the northern waterways is about 57'6" (depends who you ask but 60ft is almost certainly too long to fit) but there is no wide beam connection. You would fit the old commercial northern waterways like the Trent and the large commercial canals joining the Trent. If you fancy a run up the tidal Severn estuary then you will fit the locks on the upper Severn and I think the Avon, but check that one. In short whatever you do you will be stuck at one end of the system or the other and unless you loose a couple of foot or so from the length much of the northern system will be out as well. Sorry, Tony Brooks

Kristine
Kristine

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:38am

Thanks for that - we are going to have a rethink. Although we expect to spend most of our time in the south, it would be good to have the flexibility a smaller boat would provide.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:02pm

Just so it is absolutely clear. There are NO wide beam links between the wide northern and southern waterways so if you are going to move to the north it will have to be on the back of a lorry - unless your boat is suitable for a sea passage. Not something I would attempt in a typical inland wide beam boat. However a dutch barge style boat built to relevant water category could do the trip but its engine, being large, may not be very happy on inland waters for long periods.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:38pm

I have just got back to our boat with our Nicholson's guides so I have been looking up the dimensions of those northern wide beam waterways. There seems to be a discrepancy between Nicholsons and what I understood CaRT gave as the maximum length. Nicholsons give a maximum length of 60ft (wide beam boat) for the vast majority of those waterways but this would be the absolute maximum including bow & stern fenders and any rudder blade overhang. I think CaRTs 58ft is to allow a bit of a safety margin. The only part Nicholsons indicates you would not be able to use are the upper reaches of the Ouse above York and the Poklington Canal. Sorry for the confusion but please take great care over the maximum lengths. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:05pm

This is probably a bit late but at present I am on the Leeds and Liverpool canal where the maximum length is given as 60 ft. The state of some of the top gate cills would make me very wary of putting a 60ft wide beam in the lock unless it had something similar to a cratch and cratch cover. I fear it would be all to easy to flood the well deck, especially on the odd lock that has broken ground paddles so you have no option other than to use the gate paddles.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.