Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stuart&viv
stuart&viv

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:18pm

Post Subject: radios

What's the ruling on Marine radios for widebeams that cruise the rivers Avon, Themes & others.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:48pm

I do not fully understand exactly what you are asking. If you want to operate marine VHF Radio then you need a certificate (take an RYA course) and then you need to register your radio or boat with OFCOM Radio for hand held, ship for a fixed set. There are no requirements for boats to carry VHF apart from: Thames below Teddington but there is an exemption for narrowboats traveling to Brentford. Trent & Humber below Gainsborough - required on all powered vessels. Yorkshire Ouse below Hook - required for all powered vessels. Now, I doubt you intend to venture onto these commercial waterways apart from the Trent but anywhere you might meet something rather large it is probably safer to keep a listening watch on the relevant VHF channel (CaRT locks etc use channel 74). On tidal waters a VHF set might just get you help before you are left high and dry for a tide or to prevent you disappearing under the Humber bridge with a broken engine. Read the IWA's Guidelines on the use of Marine Band Radio by Inland Pleasure Craft on UK Fright Waterways. There is no requirement for Marine VHF on the non-tidal Thames & Avon. Tony Brooks

stuart&viv
stuart&viv

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:33pm

Thank you Tony. I was just wondering if I might need one and have to do the course or not needed. At sometime I will be trying to get up the river Lee as far as Chingford.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:44pm

Unless your boat is less than 13.7 meres long I am afraid that you will require a radio for the Teddington to Brentford leg because you are not a narrowboat, but just to confirm check with the Port of London Authority.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.