Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
gatecrashe
gatecrashe

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:21am

Post Subject: Fuel storage and Generator

Hello. Few queries having Just bought a compact Petrol Generator. Chosen for low noise and easy handling as well as output. Have been nervous about the choice of petrol on board. Any advice of where to store the Jerry can of spare fuel? When not on board where would you put the Generator (it is currently in the shower room out of sight which is ventilated by a louvered door and an open window panel). I notice the Gen' has a normal socket for connection - I have assumed wiring a rubberised plug onto the end of my spare shoreline cable will be perfectly OK? I have never seen anyone run an earth cable from a generator into the ground - is this right or should the generator be earthed when in use on board and on shore? Thank you!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:38pm

Petrol vapour is heavier than air (like bottle gas) so spare petrol and the generator should be stored in a manner that allows any fumes to fall overboard. Construction something similar to a properly vented gas tank should be fine for both the petrol and generator. Otherwise both should be stored on the roof on an a piece of decking that allows the fumes to fall overboard. If you have a sufficient upstand below the front doors you may find that you have a vented front cockpit locker you could use. Whilst it is not ideal it would be safer than storing it in the shower. If your mains circuits do not involve an inverter then what you propose should be OK, but check the generator's manual. If there is an inverter then it is just possible there may be incompatibilities between the two so check with the inverter manufacturer or a qualified marine electrician who understands mains wiring and equipment. Tony Brooks

gatecrashe
gatecrashe

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:34pm

Tony - thanks for the reply. Most helpful! Mark

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.