Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
timcurtis
timcurtis

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:29pm

Post Subject: Marine plywood

Hello. Do I have to use marine ply in the bathroom or is WBP ok?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:20am

Post Subject: Marine plywood

You do not HAVE to use any particular product and much depends upon other considerations like what surface finish you intend to apply and how you intend to protect or seal the edges. It also depends upn the life you expect from your work. Marine ply comes in a variety of qualities from modestly priced Far Eastern ply to Thames Marine Ply from Robbins of Bristol that costs over £100 an 8 x 4 sheet. Even WBP ply comes in a variety of grades and different woods. In both cases the cheaper products are likely to be full of voids in the plies, areas of filler, and poor surface finish. If you intend to cover the surfaces with a Formica type product then you know no water or damp can get to the surfaces so as long as you ensure the edges are well sealed and the reverse face is no visible then WBP ply would probably be satisfactory. If you intent to tile the surface I would personally be looking at a good quality Far Eastern Ply, as I would if I intended to paint. Varnishing requires a very good surface materiel and finish so that would require the very expensive ply I mentioned. If you are looking for a quick sale of the boat at a low price then as far as you are concerned nearly anything would do as long as the finish looked satisfactory. However how long it would take to start to delaminate at the edges is questionable. Remember many budget boats are built with MDF but care needs to be taken to ensure damp can not penetrate. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.51 seconds.