Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
holman
holman

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:26pm

Post Subject: Changing Engine Coolant

Hi Tony, Our boat is fitted with a Beta BD3 engine and we are about to change the engine coolant (for the first time under out ownership). To gain access to pipes and skin tank the boatman's cabin flooring has been removed. The lowest point to drain the system appears to be from the skin tank, both inlet and outlet points are at the bottom corners of the tank. There appears not to be a bleed screw on the tank ! If we release the fluid by one or both of these tanks connectors and flush the system out, will we be able to refill the system and force/pump the air from the tank. Or do we need to refill using a special technique ? Many thanks Ray Holman

Changing Engine Coolant
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:01pm

If this is a vertical skin tank and you are correct about the connections and lack of a bleed plug or screw then I can see no way that you can ever refill such a skin tank. Are you sure it is not a horizontal skin tank under the engine that some builders fit. In general terms conventional vertical skin tanks have horizontal stub pipes for the hose connections while horizontal skin tanks tend to have vertical stubs. Once you are sure its a vertical tank and there is absolutely no chance of a hidden bleed point Then all I can suggest is that if you are good at DIY you drill and tap the top of the tank for a screw or get someone to do something similar. They may feel it better to weld a "nut" onto the tank and drill through to provide more thread. If it is a horizontal tank then it should self bleed. Tony Brooks

holman
holman

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:38pm

Hi Tony, Thank you for your advise and comments, I have checked that the tank is vertical.So believing that a bleed screw exists I removed the flooring from the bed 'ole floor and the draws and floor from under the crumb draw and I have now found 2 bleed screws, one each end of the tank, problem solved. Thanks very much Ray

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.