Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stuartw
stuartw

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:42pm

Post Subject: morso squirell

Hi. I have a morso squirrel multi fuel burner that heats 3 radiators and clorifier, it uses a circulation pump and my concern is what do I do uf the cir ulation pump should fail whilst the morso is lit.? As if this did happen the water in the back boiler would boil?. Any ideas.??

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:42pm

There are probably no answers that are satisfactory but I suppose you could riddle the fire down and then carefully spray the hot coals with water but that may scald you with steam and would make horrible mess with flying ashes. The safest although costly and potentially more unsightly is to re-plumb with in much larger pipes and in a manner that allows gravity circulation. If you do that the hotter the water gets the faster it circulates and so dumps more heat. You may also consider fitting another pump and switch so you have some redundancy. Most circulation pumps are centrifugal "pass through" types so the two could be placed in series. However you would have to regularly swap pumps so you know both are working. As long as the system has an open header tank and adequate supply and vent pipes you could shut the stove down and just let it boil. However it may well spit rusty water out of the top of the tank. I can not recommend shovelling the hot coals into the canal because if you dropped one a fire could easily ensue and it is easy to burn yourself.

stuartw
stuartw

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:53am

Thanks Tony. Someone has sugested draining the back boiler into the engine bilge??, would the back boiler withstand the heat though without water in it ???

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:20am

It depends upon what the boiler is made from and also how high the fire is. If the fire is running away I suspect it could easily melt a copper or mild steel Boiler(I do not know what Moros use. I fear theer is no easy answer to this problem.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.45 seconds.