Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Bishopbea
Bishopbea

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:16am

Post Subject: Renting at Xmas

Want to rent a barge over Xmas: 4-7days between 22nd 31st Dec. on grand union canal nearest to Dunstable Bedfordshire. One person but plenty of visitors over the holiday so enough room for 8 visitors at one time. Don't need to travel on barge, but if that's a requirement that's ok. I've looked on lots of websites but no luck with area and/or location. Can anyone help?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:30pm

Post Subject: Renting at Xmas

The term "barge" means different things to different people. If you are thinking about a wide beam boat then as far as I know no one hires wide beam boats in that area. If you mean narrowboat we then need to know how many beds are required. It could be 8, 8+ one or two hirers (10), or just beds for the hirers and room for 8 day guests. However in the latter case I doubt a narrowboat would ever be satisfactory. Wyverne Shipping Company at Leighton Buzzard list a 10 berth narrowboat but you will need to phone them (01525 372355) to discuss the possibility of a Christmas hiring. If these 8 visitors are actually several sets of up to eight visitors at a time I suspect any hire fleet may be very wary. At that time of year there is too much chance of major damage or accidents caused by intoxication. I would also comment that 8 or 10 people on a narrowboat in winter would need to be exceptionally good friends. In summer some can always give others a bit more space by going outside or putting chairs on the towpath. I doubt you would want to do that in December. Union Canal Carriers or Braunston (Nr Daventry) also list 12 berth boats but again you would need to phone them 01788 890784. To be honest I rather suspect that the cost of a boat and a large holiday house would turn out to be similar and in a house you will have far more room AND a large stove & cooking facilities. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.61 seconds.