Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
explugger
explugger

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:22am

Post Subject: RCD's - Can anyone enlighten me, PLEASE

hello, I have spent countless hours trying to discover all the legislation regarding RCD's and to be honest not only am I still in the dark...So can anyone assist...I purchased a 50' boat from a Company who had bought it in with the sole intention of re-fitting it and selling it on...I was the unlucky mug who bought it - it has been a nightmare and during prepping a Court Case about a small part of it - the three letters RCD came to light..My boat was originally built in 1992 - but stretched by more than 10% of its length in 2001 (ish) I believe the ballast was altered when the refit was carried out in 2007 - so my question - I think I understand that the RCD should have been issued when it was stretched but is it also possible that the boat should have been re surveyed for the RCD compliance when the ballast was changed? I had a survey on the hull and this was Never mentioned and the boat came complete with a 4 year safety certificate. I have spoken to many in trading standards who police this legislation and the opinions are as far and wide as the canal network itself...I would welcome any thoughts or comments or suggestions from anyone who fully understands this EU legislation. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:53pm

I am not going to get too involved in this. From what you say it seems you need to keep checking lawyers until you find one who does understand the Recreational Craft Directive. I also think you may well end up spending a lot of money in legal fees and then not be able to collect whatever you are awarded. I also think that you may not be able to pursue RCD matters once a year has elapsed from the date of the alleged beach. Have you contacted the British Marine Federation (http://www.britishmarine.co.uk/) because if anyone should understand the RCD one of their members should. You could also try talking to Gary Peacock at Legard Bridge Boats who seems to have a fair knowledge of the RCD, including being involved (on the customer's behalf) in something a bit like your predicament. NOW OVER TO ANYONE ELSE PLEASE. Tony Brooks

explugger
explugger

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:58pm

Tony, Thanks for the comments - I don't know why I didn't try the BMF before unless I was under the impression its for members only - Anyway - I have spoken to Nigel Saw who apart from being a thouroughly nice bloke, obviously knows his stuff....My boat does not need an RCD and reading between the lines a lot of people are getting hung up on the wording and not quite reading it correctly...I was told the stretch would mean it needed an RCD - not so.....So what has been a worrying time need not have been - I urge anyone who have similar worries to speak to the BMF without delay!! meantime I am off for a beer!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:17pm

I am really pleased you have been satisfied and my private thoughts were that there was no way your boat would need to comply, but I was not sure enough to say so. Having said that the enforcement of the RCD is in my view negligent so there are many boats that have highly suspect RCD documents and probably an equal number where the builder has managed to illegally circumvent the requirements. I mention this to try to warn other readers who may be having similar thoughts about any boat that is less than 5 years old. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.