Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
maltmas
maltmas

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:50pm

Post Subject: Premature Rust

Hello All - We had our 12 year old NB professionally painted about 15 months ago and were very happy with the result. However, this summer I noticed small but numerous patches of bubbling rust, mainly on the roof and on the Well deck. As a novice boater, I don't know if this is normal or if a decent paint job should last longer. I am not afraid of a bit of hard work if that is what is required but just concerned that rust is appearing so soon. Our boat is moored at a marina and is hooked up to the mains, but we do have a Galvanic Isolator on-board. I appreciate any advice. Many Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:22pm

First of all welcome to the forum. I can put your mind at rest in respect of the shoreline. If that was anything to do with it then any corrosion would be on the underwater parts of the hull. The main question is very hard to answer because much depends upon what your contract with the painter specified would be done and to some extent what you paid for the job. This sounds very much to me like one of two things. Micro blistering where damp or paint solvent gets trapped under a cured paint layer and in this case the rust makes me suspect damp from condensation between paint coats. The other reason that I think may be more likely is that rust that was in those positions previously was not properly dealt with so it is now showing through. I suspect you would have to remove all the paint from those areas and then sand or grind all the rust away. If this is not possible you would then need to use a rust treatment to convert what is left by the use of something like Fertan, Vactan or another such product. Then prime (with an anti-rust primer, rub down and apply the required number of undercoats and top coats. I would point out that paint is not 100% watertight so if you leave wet mats and such like in contact with the paint for long periods (even snow over the winter) it can cause this sort of problem. Tony Brooks

maltmas
maltmas

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:52am

Many Thanks Tony. This puts my mind at rest a little ;o) The boat yard we used are very helpful so I think if I talked to them they would be happy to have a look. Thanks, Steve

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.45 seconds.