Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
BrandonC
BrandonC

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:43am

Post Subject: Mystery Nut.

While changing the oil and filters on my 1600 Yanmar/Barrus Shire engine recently I discovered a black plastic covered piece of metal in the driptray. On further investigation the plastic was covering a 10mm Allen headed nut, with spring washer, which appears to have sheared from something. However it is not immediately obvious from where. I am also unable to see under the engine itself. This could have happened at any time since the last change and no unusual vibrations or leakages are apparent. Any Idea? John Farmborough

Mystery Nut.
BrandonC
BrandonC

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:12pm

On further examination it isn't a nut but a sheared-off bolt head.

Mystery Nut.
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:25pm

The plastic cover is usually used for either cosmetic purposes or to protect other things like maybe the alternator belt or your hands. In the first case the snapped bolt should be in easy view, probably near the top of the engine. I think I have seen caps on gearbox coupling bolts and also on the nuts and bolts securing the alternator(s). The only other thing I can suggest is to ring Barrus so you can ask them if they fit any such caps or bolts to their marinisations. More input from readers please - especially those with Shire engines. Tony Brooks

BrandonC
BrandonC

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:50am

Thank you for your advice. I did indeed contact Barrus who were very helpful. As a result the bolt in question was located as one of four securing the rear engine mounting bracket, alternator side. It is a lower one below a flange meaning it is quite difficult to see without being a contortionist (I know we have to be a bit of one to do work in the engine compartment at all). Their advice is replace the bolt as the remaining three will not provide sufficient support. The hole in the mounting bracket is not tapped so the bracket should slide off the stub when the other bolts securing it are removed. Hopefully I will be able to get sufficient purchase on the stub to remove that! I hope this may be of help to others.

Mystery Nut.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.