Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Phil0884
Phil0884

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:18pm

Post Subject: No shoreline supply

Hi, not being an electrical expert this has thrown me, for some reason when I am connected to the shoreline I no longer receive a supply of electricity through the plug. I know that my supply lead is fine as I have checked it, my suspicion is that it may be an earth fault as pressing the test button on the fuse box control panel does not trip. I've tried just using the inverter and I do get a supply to the plug so there is obviously some fault between my shoreline connection and my fuse box. Has anyone experienced this? On another note, when using the inverter I continue to get the low battery warning despite having my domestic batteries regularly charged by a marine battery charger which shows over 14 v. Again, has anyone had this issue? Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:08pm

First of all as you have both an inverter and shoreline there should be a means of selecting which one actually supplies the 240 volts AC. Some inverters can do this themselves but very often a selector switch is employed. My first check would be to see if you have such a switch (usually rotary and typically marked 1-off-2)and if so has someone switched it to inverter power. If the inverter is a self switching one you need to fully understand the instructions so you can set it up properly. May I point out that fuses do not have a test button. RCDs, RCBOs, and possibly MCB do. The test button should never be considered a test of the shoreline or boat's earthing integrity. If the button is on an RCD or RCBO then the fact that it does not operate could indicate a faulty earth or a faulty breaker. You may/should have some form of breaker very close to your shoreline socket. is this hidden and has it tripped. I do not have sufficient information about your boat and how it is wired to say much more. I would advise however that as you knowledge a lack of expertise that you consult a qualified mains marine electrician. If a proper multi-stage marine charge is showing in excess of 14 volts it tells me that your batteries are not yet fully charged. When such chargers decide the batteries are fully charged it should drop the voltage to around 13.6 to 13.7 volts. This suggest that either you are not charging for long enough or you have a fault on the boat. I would suspect one or more shorting cells in the domestic bank. First of all leave the batteries on charge for well over a day and then inspect the cells for gassing. If individual cells bubbling they are probably faulty. If after a few days the voltage has not dropped to around 13.7 then either the charger is faulty and may have wrecked the batteries or the batteries need renewing. This assumes a typical battery and electrical installation. If your inverter is a combi-inverter/charger (I suspect it is not as you mention an actual charger) then make sure you do not have it set to charge when the shoreline is unplugged. If you do it will try to use battery power to power the charger and the batteries will soon fail. If you send more details and a circuit diagram to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk I will see if I can give more help but I do need to know what your breakers are. Tony Brooks

Phil0884
Phil0884

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:29pm

Hi Tony Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, I have the typical 1,2 switch set up as you describe and thanks for pointing out my error, I did indeed mean the test button on the RCD not the fuse box. I will have a look when I am next down to see if there is a breaker by the socket where the shoreline connects Regarding the charging, yes, it is just a simple inverter, I use a multi stage marine battery charger so it may be a case of leaving it on for an extended time as you suggest, hopefuly the batteries are OK as they are only a few months old! Thanks again, will email you some more details if I cant resolve the issue!

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.