Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
bru6ey
bru6ey

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:51pm

Post Subject: Air filters

I have a Liverpool 50" narrow boat with an Isuzu 33 engine with no Air Filter is this unusual? there dose not appear to be anywhere to fit one

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:19pm

Some Isuzus do have factory fitted air cleaners but I think that if you look on the right hand side of the cylinder head close to the front of the engine, you will see a triangular/trapezoidal metal plate with holes drilled in it. That is where the air goes into the engine so no filter can be fitted. You are in good company in that some Vetus engines look as if they have an air filter but the housing is only a silencer with no cleaning element. Many years ago a trusted source told me that London Transport would not buy air cleaner elements for their buses because over the life of the engine the elements cost them more than any reduction in engine life - and that's in dusty London! I can not vouch for that but as a boat is not operating in a dusty quarry or in dusty fields I think you can rest easy.

bru6ey
bru6ey

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:05am

Many thanks only had the boat 10 years and just realised although do a regular oil and filter change Bruce

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.