Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
WIGGYSARK
WIGGYSARK

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:54pm

Post Subject: SHANKS SWITCH PANEL

HELLO, I recently purchased a Narrowboat with Shire Shanks 35 Engine.The switch panel with he rev counter on it at the stern of the boat needs replacing. Can you tell me does it have to match the engine or can I use any panel with any rev counter. If it does have to be the same type , then can you please tell me where I can purchase one.

SHANKS SWITCH PANEL
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:21pm

Unfortunately the image the forum shows is too small to see any significant detail so I have no idea why that panel needs replacing. AS I so often explain to people if I am told the reasons and/or symptoms rather than a diagnosis of the problem I may be able to offer far more cost effective help. E P Barrus of Bicester are the marinisers of the Shanks range of engines (01869 363636) so they may well be able to sell you a new panel but at what cost I have no idea. Ant temperature or oil pressure gauges need to match the sender units that are fitted to the engine unless you change both the gauges and the senders. Otherwise generic parts will be fine. You will, however, have to set a new revcounter to match your alternator and pulley ratio. Instructions should be supplied with a new unit. There seem to be some black oblong things on the right of the panel but I can not identify them. Please let me know exactly why you think you need a new panel and if this answer is not sufficient please email a better photo to Tony@tb-training.co.uk. It is possible that you might be suffering form multi-plug issues that a new panel will not solve. Tony Brooks

WIGGYSARK
WIGGYSARK

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:42pm

thanks for the reply. I haveonly recently purchased the boat and it is having a few repairs done before I can collect the boat. As far as I know, the panel is working ok but is just a bit tatty and I would like to replace it. It has on it the rev counter and It also has the ignition and 5 x lights ....Temp, Oil, Battery, Ignition coil and another battery light. The other panel is separate with 4 x switches ... Front Light, Nav lights , Horn and Bilge Pump

WIGGYSARK
WIGGYSARK

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:46pm

hope this photo is clearer

SHANKS SWITCH PANEL
WIGGYSARK
WIGGYSARK

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:57pm

Sorry just realised that the photo is rotated sideways. have tried to alter it but it still downloads to the site the same way. The rev counter is on the left of the panel and the 5 x lights and the ignition switch are on the right of the rev counter.. The other panel just has the 4 x switches and is situated below the rev counter panel.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:03pm

The way the forum deals with photos Makes them virtually unusable. For other readers who want me to look at an image please email me directly. Barrus may be able to supply you just the panel its self so you an change the items over. You may also find a local engineering firm who will use your old panel as a pattern an make one out of aluminium or some such. Have a look at the Vehicle Wiring Products website for a selection of generic lamps and switches. I doubt they will be an exact match for the Shanks ones but they will do the job.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.