Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Janet_Peck
Janet_Peck

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:21pm

Post Subject: Boat painting

We are having the boat repainted and wondered the best way of deciding on a colour scheme. We have ideas but not sure how the finished choice would look.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:36am

Look at other boats. Use "match pots" from the likes of B&Q to paint a picture of your boat (the paint will probably be mat emulsion but it will give an idea). Use acrylic paints from an artist shop to do the same. I would do it on the computer so it is easy to flood fill the areas with different colours but be aware that colours on the computer can look rather different in real life. Be wary of house colours offered by the paint manufacturers. If they do not comply with a BS or RAL number system you will be stick with buying from that manufacturer for touching up etc. Even so the paint on the boat will fade over time and the same BS or RAL colour paint from different manufacturers will vary in colour a little.

Janet_Peck
Janet_Peck

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:55pm

Thanks for your reply. I was half hoping there may be a computer programme that I could use to give me a rough idea but I can't locate one. If not, then I will resort to other means.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:06am

Although I would use a vector graphics program because all lines and colour fills can be "undone" at any stage a bitmap program is perfectly usable. As far as I know you still get Windows Paint or its successors free with Windows, look under Start - Programs - accessories. I am sure Macs have similar and with Linux there are many choices in the Repository (called different things under different versions of Linux). Just remember that unless you have colour calibrated your screen, and that requires special equipment, the colours shown will only be approximations but it should show how the colours look together. However you then need to get a paint colour code from the screen colour and that is easier said than done. I have just ordered a combined RAL & BS colour swatch from http://technicalpaintservices.co.uk/ral.php r for just over £20 including VAT & postage. That would allow you to match the RAL/BS paint numbers to screen colours. If you are using a more professional drawing/design program it may give you the Pantone number of the screen colour and there is an on-line Pantone to RAL colour converter. However all this is prone to variations in tint etc. If you do use Paint or similar draw the outline of your cabin side using rectangles to provide areas you will later fill with colour. Then add a rough approximation of the hull. Save that. Now you can load the blank outline, give it a new name and fill the rectangles with colours. The reload the original and repeat with different colours. There are many programs for the PC, but I doubt ant are dedicated to boat painting. You may have Paintshop Pro. Coral Draw, Visio, or one of Serif's offerings. There are many more choices, some far more expensive.

Janet_Peck
Janet_Peck

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:42pm

Thanks for all your help. I will now get my husband on the task of sorting this out for me!!!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:57am

I have just found a program that converts RGB computer colours to an approximation of a variety of paint colours. If you scroll down the list and find RAL colours. http://easyrgb.com/index.php?X=SEEK Please remember any supposed match will be diferent in real life.

Janet_Peck
Janet_Peck

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:39pm

Thanks again.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.