Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Dorsetpol
Dorsetpol

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:27am

Post Subject: Painting

After 10 years my 58ft narrowboat is in need of a partial/total repaint. The local marina have suggested a full repaint with all paintwork taken back to bare metal. When the boat was built an epoxy primer was used which, I understood, would not require removal when repainting, assuming it was still sound. If this is not the case then what is the benefit of an epoxy primer?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:58am

First of all a caveat over what I am going to say. Most boat painters will prefer to go back to bare metal so they can control the application of the whole paint system. In this way minimise the possibility of a failure at any point in the application process and thus minimise the possibility of being forced to do expensive remedial work at their own expense and in their own time. There is also a question over the integrity of your existing paintwork. If there are any areas where rust has come through or damage that has rusted then good practice demands those areas are taken back to bare metal and treated. The problem with that is that those areas may well show through the final paintwork, either after painting or in the future as a sort of shadow. The painter will want to avoid this. If the boat is in good condition with no signs of rust or abrasions then I am sure that if you do a bit of research (Google) you will find a boat painter who is willing to do the job by rubbing down the existing paint and over-coating it. You may well have to take the boat to them on two visits. Once to ensure it is suitable for such treatment and then for the job. They may well put limitations on any warranty. I would talk to painters direct and not allow a marina to act as a middleman. Not only Google but also ask other boaters for recommendations. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:42am

I have just noticed that I seem to have lost my second sentence. Please insert "I am an engineer, not a paint expert". TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.57 seconds.