Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Jdavec
Jdavec

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:46pm

Post Subject: Gardner 2 UC Gearbox.

Starting the 2LW engine from cold the prop shaft from the 2 UC gearbox revolves, even out of gear. after 10 to 15 mins its stops. The gears still engage and dis-engage as normal. Can you please offer advice.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:11am

All marine gearboxes have two clutches in them. they may be multi-plate clutches like a motorcycle, cone clutches like a car's synchromesh units or a brake band that locks onto the outside of a drum. I do not know any details about that particular box but a drawing on the internet suggests it has a multi-plate clutch for ahead and a brake band for reverse. This topic has the details http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showt opic=65986 There is also an nonline manual at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7tuaIU0dQxVM2Rk OGI4ZTMtMmUxMC00NzRiLWIzMjktNTY0ZDhhM2FjMzY0/edi t?pli=1 Now the answer to your question. AS the clutches require adjustment I must advise that you check they are both adjusted correctly. However multi-plate clutches that run in oil have a tendency to drive via the film of oil between the plates. Normally this drive can be stopped with a foot on the prop shaft or coupling. As the box heats up the oil thins so can not drag as well as when it is cold and thick. If the boat is new to you then it may always have done this as a characteristic of the box. If it has just started then maybe the stern gland has loosened off a bit so the shaft is easier to turn. If you recently changed the gearbox oil then please check the new oil is of the correct viscosity for the box. There is an outside chance that a clutch is breaking up but this is unlikely as the problem stops when the box is warm. Without personal experience of that box my feeling is that it is probably viscose drag and little to worry about but please check the adjustments. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:34pm

Although I copied the URL for the manual from my browser address bar it seems that it is not valid. I can not now find the page I took it from. Sorry TB

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.