Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
timcurtis
timcurtis

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:12am

Post Subject: Electrical

Hello. What height can i put electrical sockets ? The regulations suggest 450mm but can it be lower ?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:34pm

Is there any chance that you can give more information? Is this a new or post 1997 boat and if so are you fitting to comply with the RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) or the Boat Safety Scheme? Is this a hire boat or a long term live-a-board? Are you talking about mains sockets (from generator, shoreline, or inverter) or 12V sockets. The problem is that live-a-boards and hire boats may have to comply with the MAINS wiring regulations for houses. The RCD may have different requirements than the BSS and 12V circuits have few regulations apart from being above any likely bilge water level unless the ISO standards underlying the RCD say differently. Because of the ever present danger of flooding I would always seek to fit any sockets as high as I could, probably just under the gunwales. TB

timcurtis
timcurtis

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:53pm

They are mains sockets on a new Sailaway.I have fitted three sockets 250mm from the floor so far. The boat is a liveaboard, and i would like it to comply with the Boat Safety Scheme.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:37am

Thanks, that makes it much clearer. As far as the BSS is concerned I do not think they have a minimum height for sockets as long as all wiring is clear of possible bilge water, so for practical purposes that means above floor level. However as you say this is for a live-a-board I suspect that it might be supposed to comply with the latest domestic electrical regulations (16th edition I think) but am not sure. I do know that they do not apply to private holiday boats. As this is mains stuff I must advise that you seek professional guidance. I am not qualified for mains work in living accommodation. Sorry TB.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.46 seconds.