Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
prestwich
prestwich

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:58am

Post Subject: Battery charging

Our start battery is charged by a 70 amp alternator. The domestic bank 5x110 amps is charged by a 50 amp invertor charger which requires the Elecrolux 3.5KVA to run all the time. We had a switch fitted to allow the alternator to charge both banks if required in an emergency which also charges the start battery if plugged in to mains. Q. How would we upgrade this system to shorten charging time. P.S. We need the Elecrolux to run the washing machine as the invertor is about 1500 watts Quasi sine wave?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:00pm

Post Subject: Battery charging

Who decided a 50 amp battery charger (in the inverter) wold be satisfactory for charging a 550Ah bank? I am using 60 amps on a bank about half that size. The easiest thing would probably be to install a much larger dedicated battery charger fed from the Trvelpower and ignore the inverter charger when out cruising. I think I have seen 100 amp marine battery chargers advertised. If this were two alternators I would suggest using a decent split charge relay to parallel them up when the engine is running, but I am not sure how the inverter/charger would react to this. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.