Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:01pm

Post Subject: bigger battery

I have 1 110amp leisure battery on my boat which is beginning to wear out can I fit a bigger amp one and will the alternator charge it

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:26am

Yes you can fit a battery with a larger capacity (Amp Hours)as long as you have sufficient space and can secure it to satisfy the Boat Safety Inspector. The alternator will charge it, assuming there is nothing wrong with the alternator. However now is a a good time to do a power/energy audit and the charging calculations that you will find in the maintenance notes on tb-training.co.uk. This will help you to ensure you are not going to cause the new battery to wear out before it could by either over discharging or under charging it on a regular basis.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:19pm

Just to clarify. For any given alternator the time it takes to recharge a battery depends upon how much electricity you have taken out, not the battery or alternator size. If you use the extra capacity to go for longer between charges then it will take longer to recharge.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.