Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
boggisjohn
boggisjohn

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:16am

Post Subject: Coots nesting on a rudder

can someone advise how one has a coots nest removed from the rudder of ones boat. We are in our first year of boat ownership having hired for 14 years and moor in a marina. We are advised by the marina that a coot has nested on our rudder 4 days after we last move the boat. As the law states no wildlife can be disturbed once nesting we are told we cannot now move our boat which has meant we have to cancel several planned cruises. Understandably this has come as a severe blow given the money invested in a now useless purchase. Are there licenced wild live operatives who could remove/relocate the nest within the law? We are told our boat could be out of bounds for some months. Why did we bother buying.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:06am

If you are correct about the law then I doubt anyone will be willing to put into print what they would do. If it really is on the rudder itself, rather than on the back "deck" area then I do not see that you can do anything about it. However if another boat inadvertently caused your rudder to wave about whilst manoeuvring with no physical contact I do not see how you would be guilty of anything. If it is on the back deck area then I fear that you will have to wait until the eggs hatch and next winter cover the area with chicken wire.

boggisjohn
boggisjohn

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:23am

Hi Tony many thanks. Yes it is on the rudder where there is a circular horizontal plate mounted above and just in front of the main vertical blade. That has provide a ledge for the little friends to nest on. The law does state both on RSPB and GOV website documents that they cannot be disturbed once the first blade of nest material has been installed. The police can prosecute any transgressors. as we are in a Marina which prides itself on attracting wildlife its more than likely that if we 'arranged a disturbance' we would be reported. It does raise the question of is if the Marina, who we have paid a not inconsiderable sum to,. have a contract with, and are supposed to carry out daily boat checks, are they acting in our best interests as clients. Should as it would appear we could be in danger of loosing use of our expensive boat for some months possibly including loss of our planned summer 6 week cruise we will definitely not be renewing our mooring contract in November. As you say there is probably very little we can do, and by the time we are able to get to start our engine again the batteries will be flat and as we only have an inverter not and inverter/charger we are unable to keep them charge via the shore line. This is a salutary lesson on how the best laid plans and research can overlook very important aspects of boat ownership. we thought we had all the bases covered but apparently not. Anybody else's similar experiences would be welcome.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:25am

Personally I can not see what is stopping you running your engine, especially if you do it in neutral. Don't worry too much about bore glazing because the engine will be loaded by the alternator that will put more load on the engine during the early stages of charging than canal cruising and you will only be doing this for a comparatively short while. Personally I do not see the time period being measured in months, I suspect weeks until the chicks fledge. Then move fast to prevent then starting a second brood.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.89 seconds.