Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Mycroft_W
Mycroft_W

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:47pm

Post Subject: Inverted Bow

I'm in the enviable position of being able to build my own boat from the ground up. This being the case, I was wondering why one never sees inverted bows on narrowboat or wide beams? This is, admittedly, purely an affectation, but I was wondering if there was any real legitimate reason for never seeing one.

Inverted Bow
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:44pm

Post Subject: Inverted Bow

I think that you mean a flared bow as used on many cabin cruisers. First of all if you built an inland boat like that you would probably end up with a comparatively thin upper rubbing band area that would be easy to get caught under projections in lock walls or lack gates. It would also be difficult to design rubbing bands that would protect the bow area from canal side projections that are below the upper rubbing band area. You really need a nice radius where the deck meets the bow so it will tend to slide out from under a projection. Another thing is that cruisers normally use the flare to help lift the bow over waves. Narrowboats do lift into a wave but tend to cut through them more than many other craft so there is less important to lift the bow because the only time you will meet significant waves is from a wash on larger rivers or if you get a very strong wind blowing over a tide or current and then the wind woudl make a narrowboat a bit of a hand full so it would have been better to have stayed moored up. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.