Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
brendad...
brendad...

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:53pm

Post Subject: Cruisers on English Canals

We have a 10.3m x 3.2m cruiser on the French Canals. Due to health problems we need to either sell her or bring her back to Britain and use her closer to home. If we bring her here how easy will it be to sell her when the time comes? We would be willing to swap her for a boat in England if anyone is interested. Brenda Davison

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:11pm

Well, as an awful lot of the canal locks are only about 7ft wide I can not answer much of your question unless you can give me some idea about where "home" is. If it's a Steel Dutch cruiser I think it should sell well on the Thames, Severn or Trent. If its a beaten up GRP ex hire boat then it may be more difficult to sell. However you might find a taker around London at the right price.If you live around Birmingham/Black country it can not be used within (say) an hours drive from home and would be unlikely to sell locally. Give me a bit more information and I should be able to expand a bit. Tony Brooks

brendad...
brendad...

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:11am

Thanks for your reply. The boat is a Dutch Steel Cruiser in excellent condition. Our home is Merseyside and we were thinking we might use her on the Leeds Liverpool Canal or somewhere similar.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:38pm

The dimensions for the Leeds and Liverpool canal are Beam: 14ft, Length: 60ft. Air draft: 8 ft with slightly more on the Liverpool to Wigan length. Expect a maximum draft of 3ft on canals although it is often more and last year we ran aground in a lock flight with a 2ft draft. I have no data for the Rufford branch that gives access to the River Douglas. The air draft is very confusing because it is taken in the centre of bridge arches. First the towpath takes up part of the bridge arch so the canal is offset to one side and secondly most canal boats (wide or narrow beam) have a curved roof profile so they better fit the arch than a typical cruiser superstructure. I fear the only way you will be sure your boat will or will not fit is to measure it and each bridge and tunnel arch. Your boat will not match the profile CaRT deem as “normal” so they are unlikely to hold sufficient height data to give you definitive answers. What I can say is that when I travelled the length of the L&L last year I do not recall seeing a single cruiser such as yours but there were plenty of GRP equivalents on the North Eastern Waterways like the Aire & Calder, Ouse, and Trent. You also need to think about the vulnerability of your stern gear on shallow canals and how the chines will stand up to being ground against submerged rocks when tied up. The flared bow shape of many cruisers also makes them vulnerable to catching under projections when filling a lock. The Bridgewater Canal has similar dimensions but only lists a 2’ 6” draft. That canal is administered by The Manchester Ship Canal Company (Peel Holdings). I come form the south of the country but on balance I suspect that selling your boat and buying one more suitable may be the safest thing to do. If you intent to sail it home then check the prices being achieved on the Thames and Severn. Then decide if it would be better to sell in France. I suspect transport costs would make selling it abroad the most cost effective if it is to come home on a lorry. I am sure it would be fine on most of the North Eastern Waterways.

brendad...
brendad...

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:06pm

Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply. I think you may be right so we are trying to sell her in France at the moment.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.36 seconds.